Friday, December 11

I like to go on adventures in the city with myself. On one journey many months ago, I landed in a mansion glittered with chandeliers, antique mirrors, medallioned moldings, and silk drapes. I was in a place called the Americas Society, seeing a performance of new works by South American contemporary composers.

In a room fit for tea with George Washington, or a jam session with Mozart, I first heard the compositions of Arthur Kampela. Hailed as "the Brazilian Frank Zappa", Kampela blew me away with his unconventional approach to playing the guitar, focusing on the percussive nature of the instrument. I haven't seen much of Kampela around the city since that night, but I just discovered he's back, with a new composition for the New York Philharmonic. See the performance December 17th and 19th.





Tickets

No comments:

Post a Comment